This first part is purely what I have been told by Paul because (this is embarassing to admit) I DON'T REMEMBER THE FIRST TIME WE MET!!!!!!! We were 15 years old and it was at ACYF at Purdue when we were sitting down to eat. We ended up at the same table and his cousin Jenny introduces us. (Thanks Jenny!) According to Paul, a few days before that he was randomly wondering if it was possible that at this point in his life that he had not met his future wife yet. That day when we were intoduced he said he felt this little voice inside him say "This is your future wife." He passed it off as just craziness but the thought did return several times throughout the next couple years. Nethier of us was even repenting at the time that we met. He repented at 16 and became good friends with my sister Kayla, so off and on he heard things about me but we never talked or anything at that point.
The point that I remember meeting him is around the time we both moved to Lafayette to attend college. Shortly after college began I also repented and we had several friends in common and therefore saw each other pretty often. I always thought that he was a shy, quiet guy and my sister always thought I was nuts for saying that. So I kind of assumed he must not like me (I was only considering this in a friendly way at this point) thats why he was so quiet when I was around. I never looked at him as "husband material" really - he was just a friend. Until, one night we had a YG get together at my parents house and while most kids were downstairs I was talking to mom about something and she mentioned that she thought Paul was a handsome guy. I was totally like "What?" I had never considered that but when I went downstairs that night and saw him across the room I realized she was right! The months that followed consisted of me starting to care for him more and more but not knowing how he felt about me really. Even in the times that I thought he did like me, I realized that "liking" someone is a LONG way from "God wants me to marry this person."
At this point Paul still felt like I might be the one but he always thought he would graduate college before getting married. Famous last thoughts, huh? He felt more and more led to ask for me. One big sign being that several of the Remington/Francesville YG were heading to Kentucky for baptisms and I wasn't planning to go. He prayed that if I went he would know he was supposed to ask for me. I obviously didn't know this and wasn't planning to go but the night before I decided I kind of wanted to go but couldn't make up my mind. They were leaving pretty early in the morning and by the time I went to bed REALLY late I still hadn't decided. Something woke me up early that morning so I decided to go. (That something being God I now believe!) Paul says he about had a heart attack when my car pulled into the parking lot where we were meeting!
Shortly after that Paul went to his Elder to send me a proposal. This was in August and the ministers decided that with school starting back up and all that, it might be best to wait awhile to send the proposal through. Unbeknownst to them at this time I was dealing with some things iin my life and needed time before getting the proposal. I got the proposal then in September. I had gone home to see my parents on a Wednesday night for something totally different and was SHOCKED to get the porposal. My prayer all the way back to Lafayette that night was that I would be able to put my human insticts behind me (those being to jump up and down screaming YES YES DEFINATELY YES!!!!!) and truly know what God wanted me to do! I was very happy to realize over the next few days that God's plan for my life included Paul!
I put my answer in on Friday and wanted ALL DAY for him to call. By 10 that night I realized he wasn't going to. I was so bummed. It turns out that he was at his parent's house that night and gone to bed early so when the minister called with my answer his paent's took the message and waited until morning to tell him. Anyway - he finally got the answer and we were announced that Sunday and married 3 months later on New Year's Eve!
Adding to our joy was that one of my roommates (and good friend) was engaged to his roommate (and good friend). They married a week after us!
There are many times that I am so thankful I can look back and KNOW that this is the person God made to be my other half and I can honestly say that I was in love when we married but I love him more now even then I did then! PRAISE GOD! Not only for our marriage but for blessing us with family and friends that are living examples of how to make marriage work!
5 comments:
What a great story! We think that you two are perfect for each other too! It's so neat to hear how God can work and bring two people together!
great story. I know...crazy that our weddings were so close together. Even though I was engaged for SOOOO long, and yet you were married first. Would have been nice for a short engagment like you had:) Thanks for sharing your story.
LOL I can't beleive how much tim looks like paul! you two are so cute!
Awwww....look at that baby face! He's adorable :)
Awww...isn't God amazing! I love looking back and seeing how hard I prayed for you to find peace, and you found true love as well. How many years of married bliss has it been?
Post a Comment