After calling Paul to fill him in, we debated calling my mom. I hated to wake her up but I also knew if they decided to do the surgery right away I didn't want to be sitting in that waiting room alone!! I made the call at 12:20 am and I think she was on the road by 12:45 to our house in case Paul needed to come to the hospital with me. Meanwhile, I hadn't heard anything yet about what decision had been made. About 1:20 I was told the surgeon would not be coming to see us until morning (probably around 6:30-7) and she would be admitted for the night. Since the admitting process is pretty long, it was 3:30 at least, before we were left alone in a room to try to get some sleep. Me still in my clothes, sleeping on a couch next to my daughter who was in pain and facing surgery the next day. Let's just say, I've certainly had better nights of sleep! :) Also, there was this weird dripping noise that started around 4 am that was really bugging me.
Ali woke at 7 and was awake for the day. As we flipped on the lights we realized the dripping sound I had heard was a leak in the ceiling. As the ceiling was beginning to bend under the water weight they decided to move Ali to a different, very tiny, room temporarily until the leak was fixed. Paul came around 7:30 and we waited around until someone came from the surgical department around 10:30 and scheduled her to be taken back around noon. Paul had an appointment for something that he could do at home so we decided he would go do that and keep the boys and mom was going to come sit with me during the surgery. Ali's surgeon was very nice and actually came out himself to wheel her back. That was around 12:15 pm. Earlier in the day Ali had asked me if she could have her appendix after it came out. I said no for two reason. :) One being that I didn't think that was an option anyway and secondly, just eww! Not something I want sitting in a jar in her room. :) Well, I guess as they were wheeling her back, she asked the surgeon if she could have pictures of it and he very nicely took some for her and gave them to me afterwards! My mom tells me when her appendix came out they DID give it to her in a jar so maybe that was an option! I think I'm happy with just the pictures!
At this point I hadn't eaten since an early supper the night before and mom hadn't arrived yet and I was told I wouldn't see Ali again until around 3:00 pm so I headed to the cafeteria and grabbed something to eat quick. When I arrived back to the surgery waiting room, I checked in at the desk and they asked who I was there to see. Her name wasn't on the list, even tho they had taken her back 45 minutes ago. The volunteer took down her information and said she'd call back and check if she was there. I believe I uttered something along the lines of "She better be since I watched them take her back there!" I was maybe just a little stressed out and it was starting to show. :) Just then a nurse came out and assured me Ali was back there, the nurse just had not added her to the list yet.
Surgery went well and almost immediately her pain level was down because the soreness from the surgery was nothing compared to the earlier pain! Her appendix had not ruptured but she did have clumps of bacteria in abdomen area that they also removed by "sweeping" them out. The culture that they finally got from her urine also showed a urinary tract infection. The poor girl was sort of a mess! And thankfully by the time she was done with surgery we could move back to the room that we could all actually fit in. :) She stayed another 24 hours in the hospital and then we were set to go home! She is mostly back to normal, still some limitations on her activity, no gym, jumping around and things like that. She did so well with the whole thing and I was so impressed with how mature she was during most of it! We are very thankful that we have access to good medical care!!
Now for pictures, although please excuse the not so great quality from my phone. I didn't think to grab my camera on the way to the ER!;)
At this point I hadn't eaten since an early supper the night before and mom hadn't arrived yet and I was told I wouldn't see Ali again until around 3:00 pm so I headed to the cafeteria and grabbed something to eat quick. When I arrived back to the surgery waiting room, I checked in at the desk and they asked who I was there to see. Her name wasn't on the list, even tho they had taken her back 45 minutes ago. The volunteer took down her information and said she'd call back and check if she was there. I believe I uttered something along the lines of "She better be since I watched them take her back there!" I was maybe just a little stressed out and it was starting to show. :) Just then a nurse came out and assured me Ali was back there, the nurse just had not added her to the list yet.
Surgery went well and almost immediately her pain level was down because the soreness from the surgery was nothing compared to the earlier pain! Her appendix had not ruptured but she did have clumps of bacteria in abdomen area that they also removed by "sweeping" them out. The culture that they finally got from her urine also showed a urinary tract infection. The poor girl was sort of a mess! And thankfully by the time she was done with surgery we could move back to the room that we could all actually fit in. :) She stayed another 24 hours in the hospital and then we were set to go home! She is mostly back to normal, still some limitations on her activity, no gym, jumping around and things like that. She did so well with the whole thing and I was so impressed with how mature she was during most of it! We are very thankful that we have access to good medical care!!
Now for pictures, although please excuse the not so great quality from my phone. I didn't think to grab my camera on the way to the ER!;)
Around midnight in the ER. With pain meds and keeping still she was able to finally get some rest.
Finally in a room and dealing with admission things around 2:30 am
We called the IV pole her buddy since it went everywhere with her!
After surgery and giving me a groggy smile
They boys came to visit her and enjoyed the Sprite and cartoons more then anything else!
One of many, many walking trips around the hallways after surgery.
Trip around the hallways with no IV pole but accompanied by "Rover" the dog shaped pillow she was given to press against her incisions to help manage pain when she walked, coughed, etc.
So ready to head home!










6 comments:
Your mother told me about this but really good to read it from you. I am so thankful her appendix didn't rupture!! Elijah has that dog too:). I hear you on all accounts with no sleep when knowing surgery is the next day for your child and they lay in bed with intense pain!!! Oh a flood of not so good memories rush back. Glad she is almost back to her normal self. Love ya!! Had I heard about this while it happened I totally would have called you to see how you were holding up. Sorry I didn't know till after the fact.
So thankful that the surgery was successful and she is feeling much better. Why is it that hospitals always seem so disorganized like no one communicates with each other? Thanks for telling me about her spiritual experience Sunday. She is such a sweetheart.
Glad to hear all went well! Sounds very stressful to me. Ali is so tall! Sounds like she was a trooper!
Poor Ali! So thankful she is okay!
You didn't tell me the poor thing had a UTI too! Poor girl! So thankful that it's over for both of you guys!
awww...little sweetie. I'm glad she's on the mend. :)
Post a Comment