Tuesday, June 3, 2008

What If......

I am sure that those of you reading this who also have children will agree with me.....

PARENTING IS TOUGH!

As I have been pondering this recently I have been struck by a thought over and over.


My children aren't mine. They belong to God.


For some of you this might be a no-brainer and I admit that I really have known this before but it has only recently been something that has really been on my mind. God gave me these precious gifts to raise for him. Do I treat them as if this is the case? Disciplining them and teaching them right and wrong isn't really for my benefit. Sure, having well behaved children who listen makes for a generally more enjoyable day, week, month, etc.... But that isn't why I am called to train them up in the way they should go! I am called to do these things so that in learning to obey their parent(s), they are prepared to learn to obey CHRIST!


How am I doing in this area? When my child asks the same question for what feels like the 300th time, do I still patiently answer it or do I snap at them? When I see an opportunity to train them, do I brush it aside because I am to tired or I have dishes to do or I FINALLY found a moment to do something for myself? Or do I pray that God will give me the strength to continue? Am I encouraging my children in doing right or only coming down on the wrong? Am I truly parenting in a way that I believe God wants me to?


What if I kept this thought in my heart as I parented? Would it change how I am training my children?

No comments: